Monday, September 6, 2010

Fall is in the air

Well hello again blogging world! I know it has been quite sometime since I've posted. Things are finally calming down with the first few weeks of school and I am finding some inspiration in all things fall. Some people really love summer, but I LOOOOOOOVE fall. There is nothing like beautifully colored leaves falling off the trees, enjoying a pumpkin spice latte, and curling up in front of the fireplace. It has been a hot summer here in Indiana and I cannot wait for a break. This weekend it has provided some relief from the dreadful heat...so it's gotten me in the mood for stepping on crunchy leaves and opening up all the windows. I spent much of the beginning of the weekend in Zionsville coaching my soccer team. While it wasn't the most successful weekend with standings, it was wonderful soccer weather. On my way to our demonically early soccer game on Saturday morning, I stopped at Starbucks to partake in my first venti pumpkin spice latte of the season. It could not have been more perfect! Slightly pumpkinny, with a little kick of nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon in the delightful pumpkin spice, and perfectly frothed milk. Saturday night provided the opportunity to share some time with some wonderful friends by the first bonfire of the year. The popping of the fire, smell of campfire on my clothes, and roasted marshmallows made it almost nostalgic. Football season starts next week as well. In light of my favorite season, I thought I would share a homemade recipe that I tried this morning for homemade pumpkin spice lattes. It wasn't exactly like Starbuck's, but it was good none the less. Enjoy the latte with a good book in the living room with all the windows open for full fall effect.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Ingredients
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons white sugar --I use Splenda :)
1 cup fat free milk
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger brewed espresso

Directions
Brew espresso. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together the pumpkin, vanilla, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and milk. Warm over medium heat, whisking constantly, until hot and frothy. Do not bring to a boil. Pour the espresso into a mug and pour the pumpkin spiced milk over it. Top with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
***If you have a milk frother, use that instead of a whisk. It works to froth the milk much better than the whisk.

What are your favorite fall recipes? Share away!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY!!! I tried it too and while I agree it wasn't as good as starbucks, it was great for homemade!

    ReplyDelete