Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas is not a date. It is a state of mind.

What a great quote by Mary Ellen Chase to sum up this entire holiday season? I mentioned earlier today that this time of year reminds me of tradition. Last year, I went to the mailbox on a chilly December afternoon to find a couple of bills, some junk mail, and an envelope from my parents. Inside was the typical Christmas card they buy from the American Humane Society with a picture of a golden retriever on the outside. I opened the card to find the pre-printed inscription.

Merry Christmas!
Love, Dave, Sue, Kristin, and Madison

Ummmm...was I no longer in the family? I felt like perhaps I had died. I'm not going to lie...I cried. What would everyone think? Why did I feel so hurt by something so small? The answer: tradition. I had expected those cards over the years, be it my college dorm room or apartment, but I was always ON the card. Even the dog made the card, but not their own daughter?

And so begins my new tradition this year. Photo Christmas cards from Shutterfly! Sophie, my perfect pooch, and I have been attempted to pose for some pictures in front of the fireplace a la classic American family because I'm so in love with these designs. I've only managed to get one decent picture since she is a wiggle worm, but here are a few of my favorite designs (you can click on the card for direct links if you like the design).

Simple and elegant, I believe this would be perfect for the a busy family.

This colorful option would be great for those black and white photos of the kids. I think it would be awesome paired with a picture of kiddos in the snow. I love the classic and colorful blend.

Noel is my favorite word of the season. My mantle has a large decoration with this word, my stocking holders contain the word, and my favorite Christmas song is The First Noel. Simply beautiful...

But the winner is....

This card perfectly matches my personality. A little tradition, a little modern, a little funky, and yet it contains a certain simplicity.

Not only do they have photo cards for the holidays, but they have cards for just about everything you could need! Consider Shutterfly for other big life event announcements. I've included links to my favorites in these categories as well!

-We've moved announcements (my favorite one)

-Baby Announcements (my favorite one)

-Save the date cards (my favorite one)

Although I don't need any of the above quite yet, its nice to know that its really a one stop shop for all major event announcements! Enjoy hunting for your favorite Christmas cards! Maybe it'll start a new tradition for you as well. Happy holidays and merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment