Tuesday, November 2, 2010

7 Tips for a Harmonious Holiday: Guest bedroom


I've decided to try a little mini series to help you out with the holidays just around the corner. Drumroll please...7 Tips for a Harmonious Holiday!
In the series 7 Tips for a Harmonious Holiday, I'm going to share some tips for getting each room of the house in place just in time for the holiday season! I have 7 rooms that need to be ready before the holidays can really take place at my house. Guest bedroom, guest bathroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, pantry, and entryway. I am hosting Thanksgiving at my house in just 3 1/2 weeks so I will be doing all of these lovely things along with my bloggers!

The series begins with: Guest bedroom
To start the guest bedroom organization declutter all horizontal surfaces in the room: floors, bed, dressers, and nightstands.
Once you've completed that, use these tips to help get you get going:
1. Make the bed: Take a few minutes and change out the sheets on your guest bed (even if they haven't been slept in). I place dryer sheets in between every layer of bedding until just a couple days before people arrive. This helps to keep them smell fresh and adds a nice fragrance when the sheets are pulled back.
2. Bedside basics: Clear any unnecessary items off the bedside table so your guests don’t feel surrounded by clutter when they go to sleep and wake up. I limit it to a lamp and picture frame.
3. Check in time: I use many of the samples I get for free in the mail to provide my guests with a hotel like feel. Fold a clean towel and place it in a basket with shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, or any other samples you have on hand. It's a nice way to make sure your guests feel relaxed and at home.
4. Space planning: Make sure you have a dresser with at least 2 empty drawers for guests to place belongings or clothing when they get into town. I put sachets from the dollar store inside of them for guests to use when they are here and to prevent them from smelling musty when they aren't in use. Place 5-10 empty hangers in the closet for gues use as well.
5. Bed skirt savior: If your bed skirt is dragging the floor, getting dusty or looking askew, employ the help of bed skirt pins. These simple spiral pins are available at home goods stores and without any sewing or cutting, can keep your bed skirt from shifting or drooping.
6. Don't go overboard: For a clean, classic look that’s also easy to maintain, limit your throw pillows to one large pillow for the center of the bed or two smaller pillows to set in front of each of your regular pillows. This will make the bed look cozy, yet uncluttered.

Link up to share these holiday tips with your blog readers by pasting the image below!

No comments:

Post a Comment